Society of the Friends of St. Patrick in Seattle
78th Anniversary Banquet, Saturday, March 3, 2018
At The Knights of Columbus Banquet Room, 722 E Union, Seattle.
Happy Hour 5:30 pm, Call to Dinner 6:30 pm.
This year’s banquet is co-hosted by Irish Network Seattle.
Tickets for the Black-Tie (optional) dinner and dance include parking, a three course Meal, Wine with the meal, Electric Six-string Violinist Geoffrey Castle and his Band, Irish Stepdancing, Bagpipes, Toasts, Music and Dancing. More details at FOSP@old.irishclub.org.
Order tickets ONLINE, via email to Treasurer @ fosp.org, or via telephone at 425-821-3044.
Banquet tickets include:
• Happy Hour from 5:00 pm • Hors d’oeuvres
• Performances by the Geoffrey Castle Band and the Tara Academy Irish Stepdancers
• Dinner with – Your choice of Entrée: Corned beef, Chicken or Vegetarian – – Salad – – Wine with the meal – Fresh baked bread and butter – Dessert – Tea or coffee
AFTER DINNER DANCING: to the Geoffrey Castle Band
ORDER TICKETS BY MAIL
Tickets are $75 per person which includes free parking, hors d’oeuvres, Tara Academy Irish Stepdancers, and live Irish music with the Geoffrey Castle Band. Advance Reservations required. Mail checks (include guest names and lunch choices) to:
Friends of St Patrick
11616 NE 134th St
Kirkland, WA 98034
Please make checks payable to “Friends of St Patrick”.
For more information, call: 425-821-3044 or email: Treasurer @ fosp.org.
Geoffrey Castle is a pioneer on the electric six-string violin. From his beginnings as a street musician in New York City and Paris, he rose to play in the Tony Award winning Broadway production of M. Butterfly. A theme of Castle’s career is to destroy people’s pre-conceived notions of what is possible on a violin, which he does every time he takes the stage. As a show producer and band leader, Castle loves to bring this wide diversity of musical styles to his high-energy Celtic Celebrations. With a core band that includes Darin Watkins and Eric Robert, this power trio creates a sound that is as unique as it is crowd pleasing.
Bill Hogan, 2016-2017 President
The 2016-2017 President of the Friends of St. Patrick is Bill Hogan, Assistant Vice President for Athletics Advancement at Seattle University. Bill holds a master’s in Business Education and a doctorate in Educational Administration from Bowling Green State University. He subsequently served as both athletics director and head men’s basketball coach at his alma mater Saint Joseph’s College in Indiana, as head of the athletics department at the University of San Francisco, and as Athletic Director at Seattle University from 2006-2016. His time as AD at SU was marked by unprecedented growth, and he oversaw some of the most successful years in school history, both athletically and academically. Bill’s great, great grandfather, Timothy Hogan, left Co. Cork, Ireland and settled in Southwestern Ohio. The original family name was Ó hÓgáin which appears to come from the word ‘óg’ meaning ‘youngster’, an early ancestor of some note having acquired the name of Ógan. The clan once occupied a territory in the north Eastern corner of Thomond which is now in Co. Tipperary.
The Society of The Friends of St. Patrick in Seattle
Originally named The Society of the Friendly Sons of St. Patrick, the Society was founded in Philadelphia on March 17, 1771. At its first meeting were George Washington’s Irish-born aide-de-camp General Stephen Moylan, along with John Dickenson and Robert Morris, both of whom signed the US Declaration of Independence. General George Washington in 1781 in Philadelphia accepted membership in the Society of the Friendly Sons of St. Patrick, writing, “I accept with singular pleasure the Ensign of so worthy a Fraternity as that of the Sons of St. Patrick, a Society distinguished for the firm adherence of its Members to the glorious cause in which we are embarked.” Washington is also recorded as having attended a meeting of the Friendly Sons at the City Tavern on January 1, 1782 and again on March 18, 1782. The Friendly Sons of St. Patrick started in Seattle in 1941 and was a male only organization until 1989 when it welcomed women and changed its name to The Society of the Friends of St. Patrick in Seattle.